Thursday, July 22, 2010

Yes, We're Going to Have Weird Home-schooled Kids...

photo by Flavio Takemoto

We don't have kids yet and I know I want to homeschool...is that weird?

I read these news reports of text bullying, fights on school buses where the driver doesn't even pull over, cramped classrooms, overlooked kids, and politically correct learning that is more and more lacking art, music, and P.E and focusing on test scores.

I don't want that for my kids.

I want my kids to learn at their own pace.

To learn the names of composers as well as presidents.

To know how to plant turnips as well as do equations.

I want them to learn to entertain themselves, to build a fort in the woods and make teepees from bean poles.

I want TV to not be a babysitter or a space filler but a well earned relaxation break.

That's the plan, at least...we'll see how it turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment