Sunday, August 22, 2010

Contentment

Last week while driving home from work, I was inching along in traffic when I noticed the man in the car next to me.

He was driving a brand new BMW...it didn't even have the plates in yet.  A large pinkie ring graced the clenched fist that pounded the leather encased steering wheel. He was throwing a fit, waving at the cars around him and clearly having a nice little tirade.

Now I'm no saint.  I've shaken my fist and pounded my own wheel and done my share of yelling at the Seattl-idiots -ites who don't know how to merge onto a freeway.

But at that particular moment I was content. Perfectly and utterly happy with where I was in the car and in my life. I may dream of a farm in the country, but I don't need it to be content.

And that was the lesson I learned that day. (again. and I'll probably have to learn it again. and again. and again. and...)

1 comment:

  1. I just had a great conversation with someone about contentment. And you're right, we learn it again. and again. and again...

    I've seen your road rage, by the way. I seem to remember making a huge confession to you during one such tirade just to take your mind off the traffic :)

    ReplyDelete